Uniformed Patrol Officers are the face of the Sandy Township Police as they are generally the first contact citizens will have with our Department.
The basic mission of the Patrol is:
- To be responsive to the Community’s concerns.
- The prevention of crime by identifying and eliminating “root causes” of criminal activity/ongoing nuisances.
- To develop partnerships with the Community to resolve concerns.
- The protection of life and property to all persons.
- To maintain order in the neighborhoods and business areas.
- Appropriate enforcement of laws and ordinances.
- The detection, apprehension and arrest of violators of the law.
The Patrol Officers are further charged with responding to calls for service, investigating, and if possible, prosecuting known violations of local Township ordinances and state statutes such as the Pennsylvania Crimes Code and Vehicle Code. Officers may be assigned specialized positions such as Field Training Officers, Training Instructors, Accident Recinstructionists.
PATROL DISTRICT BOUNDARIES/ ZONES
THE SANDY TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT PATROL AREA CONSISTS OF FIVE PATROL ZONES:
- Zone 1 – West Sandy (Kiwanis Park, West Liberty area)
- Zone 2 – Oklahoma (DuBois Mall, Retail District)
- Zone 3 – Adrian (Falls Creek, Clear Run, Singing Hills)
- Zone 4- Sabula
- Zone 5- Treasure Lake
The Criminal Investigation Section is comprised of a Sergeant, Detective, and or Officer who are charged with the responsibility of investigating and prosecuting violations of the Crimes Code and related statutes. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, preliminary criminal investigations and where required, in-depth follow-up investigations beyond the role of Patrol Officers. Investigations include all violent and non violent crimes against persons, property related crimes, and all crimes involving sexual violence and allegations of child abuse.
The Criminal Investigation Section is also responsible with the supervision of Narcotics Investigations/ Interdiction Operations, Management of Property and Evidence, and Forensic Service related needs.
Specialized responsibilities within the Operations Section include Traffic Safety Enforcement and Awareness Initiatives, Tactical Operations, and Strategic/Targeted Enforcement.
SUPPORT AND PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS SECTION
The Support and Professional Standards Section is tasked with
- Ensuring our team of professionals have the resources necessary to provide the high level of services expected by our community.
- Responsible for maintaining the high level of professional conduct and performance by personnel in carrying out their mission and ensuring compliance with legal mandates and best practice standards.
Provides for the procurement, management, and operation of communications, facilities, equipment, vehicles, records, and technical/Information technology resources.
Support is further tasked with:
- Planning and research
- Compliance with mandates
- Grants and fiscal operation
- Public information/social media.
- Community Service/ policing strategies, outreach, and education
Professional Standards is overseen by the department’s leadership team led by the Chief of Police who are responsible for maintaining the integrity and professionalism of the department and its personnel. They investigate complaints against department personnel and report their findings to the Chief of Police.
Professional standards is further designated with the management of:
- Accreditation program
- Training personnel including management of field training
- Employee and instructor development
- Employee wellness
- Employee Files
- Recruiting and selecting new officers